Monday, August 6, 2012

I Feel Like Queen Elizabeth

gty queen elizabeth handbag nt 120207 wblog Whats In Your Handbag, Queen Elizabeth?

Apparently, Queen Elizabeth carries a purse.  There is even a book about the fact that she carries a purse.  Inquiring minds want to know what she keeps in there. (Lipstick, fountain pen, mints, and a handkerchief according to my sources.) 

I have a purse.  I hate it.  It's just one more thing to keep track of/forget.  I don't mind my church bag--after all those scriptures aren't going to carry themselves--but I could do without a purse.  In fact, in civilian life I did do without a purse as much as I could.  Anything too big to fit in my pocket certainly could fit in my car.  The kids keep all their junk in the car, why not me?  I have a "wallet" that holds my license, insurance card, debit card and credit card.  On a rare occaision I can shove a greenback in my pocket with my phone.  It's a great system and safer from theft and I can't say I've ever lost my pocket.

Unfortunately this lifestyle requires pockets.  Preferably pockets in jeans.  Which, as you may have guessed, are not the dominating style of my wardrobe these days.  Plus people keep giving me things to carry around--handbooks, ministerial certificates, mission Costco cards, etc.  Stop giving me things people! At least I am down to one phone now.

So there I am in Costco, the only one in a skirt and sensible shoes with my purse over my arm. All I am missing is the royal hat.  That, and a gazillion servants, which if I had, I would not be at Costco, would I? (Or should we say, If we had a gazillion servants we would not be at Costco)

So if Queen Elizabeth ever comes to visit, we can compare purses and head to Costco (two freeways, one construction zone and 400 maniacal semi-drivers away).  Or better yet, I'll let her carry my stuff in her purse since she likes purses (because surely her security could hang on to her lipstick) and I can quit feeling like a pack mule.

Though on the other hand, nothing says pack mule like a cart full of frozen lasagna.

p.s. not only do I have a purse like the one in the picture, I have a jacket like that too.  Maybe I really am 80.  Which is fine with me because if one more person tells me "you look so young" I am going whack them with my purse. 


4 comments:

  1. "You look so young!" =)
    Good luck with the purse thing. They ARE obnoxious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is a "semi-driver" someone who drives a semi, or someone who is only sort of a driver?

    Apparently, I want a purse. I have too much stuff to carry to work to put it all in my pockets, but I feel too (ha ha) mature to use a backpack, so I want a messenger bag. Yes, I also want a rifle scope so I can pretend to be Jack Bauer; is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either type of semi-driver applies. Unfortunately for us, the truck lanes (apparently there are separate semi-truck lanes) merge back onto the freeway right before our exit. So they are all trying to get on the freeway while we are getting off which you'd think would work but it doesn't.

    And go with a satchel like Indiana Jones. Manly and functional. Especially with a fedora.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you considered a bag instead of a purse? There is a difference. My bag is big enough to hold manila folders or music books, but not big enough for a puppy. Just something to think about, Your Royal Highness.

    ReplyDelete