Wednesday, June 27, 2012

More MTC Awesomeness

After being set apart, with Elder Maynes and Elder Cook, the kids and the parents.
Most of the mission presidents were set apart before entering the MTC but we, as always, were troublemakers.  Ken's parents were released from their mission on the 19th but Rebecca was already on her way to YW Camp where she would be until after we entered the MTC. 

Fortunately for us, Elder Cook and Elder Maynes were available to set us apart between sessions so our parents and children could be there.  We had our initial "exploratory" interview with Elder Cook back in September so we were excited to see him again.  Elder Maynes is in the presidency of the Seventy and is responsible for our mission area. 

And speaking of general authorities, it was a very neat experience to be able to listen to these men.  It was like a three day general conference--a really specific mission oriented general conference.  But then when we were in our break-out sessions (classes) you might have a comment by Elder Scott or Elder Holland.  And they were all so NICE.  Especially Elder Holland.  He had commented on the influence his mission president had had on him.  After class I told him I had never had a mission president but he had been very influential as my BYU president.  He said I could claim him as a mission president.

The MTC doesn't have enough space for all 110 couples at a time so we were bunking at the Marriott.  The church had arranged for breakfast at the Marriott in the conierge lounge so off we trotted to breakfast.  I had never really thought about where the general authorities were staying until we walked into breakfast and nearly tripped over President Uchtdorf.  Being big giant chickens we kind of hid in a corner and tried not to make fools of ourselves.  One morning Elder and Sister Edwards were there and we were so relieved to know someone to sit by.  Hooray for the Edwards family is one of our mottos. 

Turns out chickenhood is hereditary.  When the kids and parents came up for the setting apart, they were too chicken to say hi to Elder Oaks when they went to breakfast.

I did introduce myself to President Bruce Lindsay of KSL news fame.  The Lindsays are off to Australia where my dad served so we talked kangaroos.  He was so nice.  Everyone was so NICE.  Someday I will give a great discourse on niceness and how it is part of the gospel and everyone we met was so wonderful.  So be nice to each other--it's a great way to live.

Of all the wonderful MTC experiences, the one I looked forward to the most was this picture.  Now I have my mission map picture.  Now I am officially a missionary.

1 comment:

  1. For some unknown reason, this post made me tear up!!! I don't want to figure it out either! I am just so glad I know you, nice person, and your nice family too!

    ReplyDelete