Monday, May 13, 2013
Time for a Zone Conference Sing-a-Long
Last time it was Popcorn Popping but this time it is Book of Mormon Stories. Frankly, after sitting so long, I need a wiggle song and I figure they do to. Plus, there is just something irresistible about dignified missionaries "looking out the window" or sailing "far across the sea."
Why Book of Mormon Stories? Besides the obvious, I mean. Well to begin with, that song always bugged me as a small child. Back in the olden days, when snow was deep and hills only went up, there were only two verses and neither qualified in my mind as a story. OK, they came across the sea and then something about a land of liberty that frankly is more postscript than script. I am very happy to report that more verses have been added since I was a wee lass and they actually are stories. Yet, as usual, I digress.
In Zone Conference we practiced introducing The Book of Mormon to someone. Most went like this: The Book of Mormon is an ancient book of scripture that is comparable to blah blah blah snoozeville. I mean who talks like that? I mean besides my relatives. What normal person talks like that?
I want you to read The Book of Mormon because it will change your life and will let you hear the voice of God talking to you personally. So when introducing it to someone why wouldn't you get straight to that point? Nobody cares about ancient records or reformed Egyptian. It's 2013, I want to know precisely what this book has to do with ME and MY life. And I want to know in about 30 seconds because I have Things To Do.
Each of the missionaries then had to find a Book of Mormon scripture that personally meant something to them. Then they introduced it again, using that scripture. What a difference. It went from "It can change your life" to "It changed MY life and can change yours, too."
It was very interesting to eavesdrop as they practiced, and very touching. These young missionaries were sharing every part of the doctrine of Christ in the scriptures they chose. Some shared scriptures of faith, some of repentance, some of the power of the Holy Ghost, etc.
So when you talk to your friends and neighbors about this strange "golden bible," make it personal. Tell why it has changed you and how you know it can change them.
Make your own verse to the song. And don't forget the actions :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dianna - just wanted to thank you for your blog - I love your thoughts - they always give me a lift! Kim
ReplyDelete