Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Happy New Year!

If by chance you have not received a Christmas card from us, it is because they are all sitting on my desk waiting for Santa to write a letter, shove the picture in the envelope and mail it to you.  On the plus side, we actually printed out the pictures this year.  They actually say Merry Christmas on them but, I cleverly left out the year.  I'm a genius, what can I say?

To be perfectly truthful, they aren't on my desk.  Well, at least as not as far as I can see.  I'm guessing they are in one of these piles around/near/under my desk.  In real life, paperwork is not one of my talents and it's even worse now.  Which is why I love online banking and repeating payments.  Though someday I shall tell you the cautionary tale of The Girl Who Assumed Her Insurance Agent was Competent, but for now I shall give the moral of the story, which is always open letters from your insurance agent.  It is a thrilling tale, full of drama and many phone calls but will cause PTSD if I have to repeat it.  (Though how one goes from "we need to change our address" to "while you're at it cancel all of our other policies" is still quite mysterious.)

But, as I always do, I digress. 

Today was New Missionary Training day, tomorrow and the next few days are Zone Conferences and my sister Bonnie (www.overlys.blogspot.com, seriously you should check it out) came to visit before their family Disneyland trip.  So while the Hall kids had to be unceremoniously chucked out of bed and into school, the Overly kids went to Disneyland.  I can't wait to hear their reports and see if Disneyland can survive the twins.  (Prediction: probably not :)

Now, I've distracted myself with thoughts of Disneyland. So here is a picture of some M&M's I found on my floor.   

To the untrained eye that may not look like much.  To the Disneyphile it is obviously Classic Mickey Head with Classic Red Button Pants. 

Where was I again? Oh, yes, New Missionary Training.  New missionaries are awesome.  They have been here for one whole week now and have had some good experiences, some not as good experiences and a whole lot of "I had no idea what a mission was really like" experiences. 

I usually talk to them about what it means to be a Servant of the Lord.  It's not the same as being an employee of the Lord.  No clock punching, no 40 hours and then you are off for the weekend.  You are on call 24/7. Your sleep schedule is even determined for you.  You wear a uniform that in 2013 is about as odd as a lace maid's cap is.  We even tell you how to do your hair (hint: get a haircut). 

It's serious business being a fulltime servant, and it is hard. There are so many rules and at 18/19 you really don't understand them all.  The members don't even understand them all but you still have to follow them (hint: yes, you have to stay with your companion always).

The more I am out here the more I am convinced that the mission is for the missionary.  Not that converts aren't important, because they are, but if a missionary will spend two years as a servant, concerned only about his Master's business then the missionary will change.  He or she will be a better husband/wife, father/mother, brother/sister, a better disciple of Christ because of it.  If you apply what you have learned about listening to the spirit, living and loving your companion and working even when you don't feel like it you will have what it takes to thrive as an adult.  It is like tithing--10 percent of your life (age 18-20) will make all the difference to the other 90.

So do I think those who don't go on missions are doomed?  (Read doomed in an ominous, echo-y voice for full effect).  No. I think Elder Holland addressed that subject beautifully in his April Conference Talk.  Those who are blessed to be able to  serve early in the vineyard are paid no differently at the end of the day, but they also don't have to spend the day stressed out and worrying how they will feed their children that night.   

The eternal reward is the same for all the faithful, but the intensity of the mission work will train you faster than you could do it otherwise.  All worthy, able young men have a priesthood duty to serve.  For the sisters it is much more D & C 4:3. Which reminds me of this meme:
Why? I can guess.  Missionaries are never off the clock.  They spend 24/7 serving others.  They get yelled at and doors slammed.  They work so hard but rarely see the end results of their efforts for decades.  Does this sound like any other calling a woman might have in mortality?  Yes, I did it.  I played the motherhood card.  There are different fields to labor in, as it were.  The Lord has things to teach us that involve sacrifice whether or not it is sacrificing 18 months, cigarettes or sleep for a cranky newborn.  

And while I'm hypothesizing, why do I think so many more women will now have the chance to go?  How does that fit in with my other theory? I think the Lord wants more sisters to have the chance to serve because  we need better marriages.  So many of our missionaries come from homes with no good example of marriage.  They don't know how to disagree without being disagreeable or how to keep loving someone you don't even like sometimes.  If you can learn on a mission that love is action and the solution is always the gospel then when real life smacks you in the head, you know how to deal with it.  So sisters, if you meet the D&C 4:3 requirement, come on out--we'll put you to work.*

See, this is what happens when I am so exhausted (early morning seminary may be the death of me).  I meant to say nice things about new missionaries and have digressed so far I've forgotten my original point.  If I even had one.

Anyhoo, Happy 2013.  Be a little better, work a little harder, pray for your missionaries and their companions.  Oh, and if you have any referrals, I know the password now and can send a referral to any mission in the whole world. How cool is that?


*One big concern I have is that with so many sisters desiring to go is that those who have not felt impressed to serve full-time will be looked down on by others.  I have the same concern for Elders who have not been able to serve full-time for whatever reason.  Atonement is real--we all get paid  for our labor. You worry about yourself and keep your nose out of other people's business.  In the words of President Uchtdorf:  Stop It!




2 comments:

  1. I thought the M&Ms looked more like a goblin head. If it makes you feel any better, we just got a package from one of old friends who sent 4 annual holiday picture-cards (not from consecutive years, either!) It was nice, seeing the children grow up about 8 years in one quick sitting. =)

    I did experience the shunning that comes from being a young adult in the church who didn't go on a mission (I was a convert at 18, and didn't have the faith/courage to go at 19.) The worst part was the social culture where people would break out the "When I was on my mission, we ..." and I would try to hide. =S

    Hey, could you pass me a couple of M&Ms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The social component is huge. People just don't even think, and some people say really hurtful things. Most people realize the mistake and move on but some double down. Like the people who tell women they are selfish for "postponing" motherhood. I worry about the ones who go early--people say Why are you back? Couldn't handle it, eh? What did you do (whisper whisper). 1. If they came home for health reasons they don't need anyone pile on the guilt (if you had enough faith then you would have been healed nonsense) and 2. If you came home from a worthiness issue then that means you CONFESSED and are trying to REPENT--you know, that atonement thing we believe in. Repentance is a GOOD thing and snottiness doesn't help.

    And I can't pass you any M&Ms , we ate them ALL. The giant bag of Costco M&Ms. Of course there were Elders involved...

    ReplyDelete